How To Prepare For TISSNET and TISSMAT 2022
What is TISSNET?
TISSNET is one of the most popular entrance exams for admission to postgraduate management programmes in India. It is expected that candidates will consider all the key aspects of the exam while devising a preparation plan. To score well in TISSNET 2022, candidates should ideally start their preparations at least six months in advance. Candidates should sketch out a well thought TISSNET preparation plan, including a daily timetable, topic-wise distribution of hours, dedicated time for solving sample questions, and getting conceptual clarity. The TISSNET question paper comprises three sections — English Proficiency, Mathematics and Logical Reasoning and General Awareness. In this article, we will share key tips and insights on TISSNET preparation.
What is TISSMAT?
Announced in 2019, TISSMAT (TISS Management Aptitude Test) is a part of the TISS admission process and conducted just after TISSNET. Candidates who are specifically looking for admission into management programs like Master of Arts (HRM & LR) and MA Organization Development, Change and Leadership (ODCL) take this additional exam of 30 minutes and 45 total marks. The TISSMAT score is considered to in the second stage of the admission process. If you are unable to clear TISSNET then your TISSMAT scores will be discarded automatically. Given below is the weightage provided to the TISSMAT score and other selection components important for the second stage
- TISS-MAT: 30%
- Pre-Interview Test (PIT): 40%
- Personal Interview (PI): 30%
Scores of all the above-mentioned individual selection rounds will contribute towards evaluating the final composite score of the candidate.
TISSNET and TISSMAT 2022: Important Exam Information
The registration form needs to be submitted online on the official website of TISS. Candidates who wish to apply offline need to request TISS Mumbai for a printed copy of the application form through speed post with application fee addressed to the following address:
Assistant Registrar (Academic), Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Deonar Mumbai, 400088 Candidates who are applying in an online mode can remit the application fee through credit/debit card or net banking. The application fee would be Rs 1030 for one programme and plus the same amount for every program added further during registration.
Candidates applying offline need to visit an SBI Branch using prescribed challan. Know more
Here are some key parameters to understand before appearing for TISSNET and TISSMAT 2022
How to prepare for TISSNET and TISSMAT 2022
Although TISSNET and TISSMAT are cited to be simpler than other exams like CAT and XAT, it stands out of all the management entrances in terms of test pattern. TISS is one of the oldest and most renowned institutions of the country, hence getting into this would not be as simple as it looks like. Going a little further into the test pattern, the examination is divided into 3 major segments – Language skills, quantitative ability and logical reasoning and General Awareness. As per the previous years’ observed trends, a score of 80/100 (for open candidates) are deemed safe for admission into the flagship course I.e MA (LRM and HR). The cut off differs for all the programs and across social categories. To know how to prepare in and out for TISSNET 2021, keep the following points in mind:
- Have a thorough understanding of the TISSNET 2022 syllabus before you start preparing for it. Put a “plan of action” in place and implement it accordingly
- Attempt past three years’ test papers that you will easily find over the internet using a stopwatch. This will give you a clarity on your current knowledge base across all the three sections and your speed of solving questions.
- General Knowledge is the make and break section of TISSNET which can consume a lot of your time and energy. The syllabus for GK is vast and difficult to grasp all at once. Make sure you fine tune your reading skills as per the standard of TISS’s expectations.
- Pay undivided attention to editorial section of The Hindu, The Tribune etc , Modern History and news related to Art and Culture, Awards and Achievements, Sports, International column etc every day to develop your comprehension skills, vocab skills and GK all in one go. Note it, Static and Dynamic sections of GK have equal weightage in the examination.
- Take mocks every week to gain confidence over your preparation technique. You should be touching an average score of 75-80 by the end of your preparation process.
- Shift your attention towards weak topics. Note it, TISSNET and TISSMAT are both strictly aptitude screening examination. Devote more time to the subject which you are not up to the mark with. Concentrate on lengthy but simple questions.
- Mathematics & select areas of English Language Proficiency are concept driven and it is suggested that you brush up your fundamentals in these areas to develop the required competence.
- Logical Reasoning and select areas of English Language Proficiency are practice intensive and it is recommended that you practice across a good number of similar questions to build desired comfort levels.
- The General Awareness section is environment sensitive and demands you to prepare both current and static components of awareness. Following is a section wise preparation strategy with specific mention of thrust areas in each section:-
Choose Proper Study Material:
It is a common misconception among aspirants that preparing from a number of books will help them in getting good marks. The truth is that referring the right books only will aid you in securing high. Don’t run behind multiple study material to prepare for TISSNET. Ask your teachers and friends which TISSNET Study Material to refer. Students should choose books that cover entire TISSNET Syllabus and are as per Paper Pattern.
Prepare a Time Table:
Six months is a good amount of time to excel in TISSNET, provided you are sincere and dedicated towards achieving your goal. These final months are very crucial for every TISS aspirant and a proper plan is needed for the preparation. You should make a time table to devote time to each subject as per your weaknesses and strengths. Coaching experts also believe that having a proper time table proves to be very helpful for the students,
“Work according to a time table. It is better to have a plan than not to have any at all”.
Strengthen Important & Key Concepts:
Students appearing for TISSNET should know that not all topics carry equal weightage of marks. Some topics carry more marks, while others don’t. Devoting much of your time on such important topics is recommended. You just need to identify such topics and practice them more.